Saturday, May 20, 2006

What does the StemLife Logo mean?


On Monday June 12th 2004, one of our clients James wrote in his blog that StemLife had a "kick-ass logo" (read the rest of his comment below). Thank you very much for your compliment James, I would like to take this opportunity to explain the significance of the StemLife logo.

When we first started the company in 2001, I thought a lot about what the philosophy of the company ought to be and also what sort of brand image would reflect the services we would offer.

The points I held firmly in my mind were:

a) stem cells, all types
b) what do they become?
c) what diseases can stem cells treat?
d) why are stem cells important to us and what are the consequences for our future generations?

With these thoughts, I described the nature of stem cells, their intrinsic value to life-improving therapies and my personal feelings about banking my own stem cells for my future use (note that I didn't use the word 'potential') to a trusted friend, a web designer who really took the time to listen and imagine with me.

He listened to me explaining the function of stem cells, part of our rejuvenating, healing and essential regenerative capabilities to form new blood and tissue. He followed me on a journey of a stem cell in a life-saving transplant from one person to another; he began to wonder what other diseases might be treated with stem cells. Could they repair families with genetic diseases passed on from one generation to the next? Might our own stem cells be used by a close family member?

By the way, you can find all these answers quite easily in this blog and in other online resources :)


"Design it with passion," I said "and make it meaningful so that it survives the passage of time".


I was presented with about 30 logos, varying from dripping blood to very science fiction logos that reminded me of something I had seen on Star Trek (TNG, of course). The one that immediately caught my attention was very similar to the one that you see today. It was a twisty DNA structure with orbs in the middle with rainbow colors (designer tried hard to please...) and I asked him to modify it to the one you see below.



Moving your eyes from LEFT to RIGHT:

FIRST CIRCLE:
The first circle represents a stem cell (early, pale, immature)

SECOND CIRCLE:
The second circle represents the transformation of the stem cell into a downstream cell (red blood cell, immune cell, clotting factors or integration into other tissue).

THIRD CIRCLE:
The final circle is actually a drop of blood (look closely) and is the most obvious product of stem cells from our bone marrow.

PATHWAY AROUND THE CIRCLES: 2 levels of significance

(1) INFINITY- The blood flows throughout our body (follow the bloodstream around the circles) and is woven into an infinity path, signifying that stem cells can regenerate and are the immortal cells of our body, providing the continuous healing that keeps our body healthy and intact. Stem Cells are unique markers of an individual comprised of a genetic blend of our parents. They are in some ways a genetic heritage.

(2) HEALING- Of genetic diseases like Thalassemia major, which requires successful stem cell transplants to enable the patient to live without transfusions.

Like a stem cell, StemLife is a company that is always renewing itself and is on a mission to improve quality of lives and treat diseases.

The StemLife logo fully embraces our name and creates the first and lasting impression that StemLife is a knowledge-based brand, with a team that puts much thought, consideration and care into everything it does...

...Right from the beginning.





James, I hope you don't mind that I take an excerpt from your blog:

"I know I sound really superficial but as far as I am concerned, any company with a well designed logo, website and literature is a company who saw it fit to go the extra mile. An organisation with a conviction to its customer. Besides, a company with a professionally designed logo is a company who hired people like me. So if I support such an organisation, I am essentially supporting the graphic design and/or advertising fraternity. I'm watching out for the brethren of communications. *ahem*"


My acknowledgements and thanks to Tony, who has since moved back to the UK to design for bigger names ;)

Like our logo? Tell us about it and leave us a comment!

No comments: