Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Lung stem cells for Hong Kong Citizens

I'm in Hong Kong for a short trip and although there has been a typhoon that just passed by and a huge rain that whipped up as a result, the smog is back in full force. It remained hazy and cloudy all day long, not entirely in a cumulonimbus-rainy sort of way, but that which reminded me of forest fires plumes drifting above the Petronas twin towers during the Sumateran forest fires.

A question posed to me this evening was if stem cells might help replace cells affected by pollution and perhaps that this regeneration might help desist lung cancer?

I know that Helen Rippon is working on deriving lung cells from stem cells to coat an artifical lung but I guess it isn't quite the same. No answer from stem cells yet, so better just to sort out the roots of the pollution. The costs to government, healthcare facilities and citizens might work out to be just the same.

No comments: